So, here's the story.
On Saturday afternoon, Jan. 29, 2011, we attended a birthday party from 3-5pm. I noticed that I had had a few contractions while getting ready and on the way there. This seemed somewhat promising. That night they started to get more regular and by bedtime I was timing them. They were about 6 minutes apart but the intensity was so mild it was barely worth mentioning. Through the night I woke up and noticed that the intensity had increase a little, then a little more, then a little more. By 7am I was convinced I was in labor. Contractions were anywhere from 3-5 minutes apart and were significantly stronger than when we went to bed. I knew we had a while so we got dressed, got all of our bags together, and headed to Ruby Tuesday's for a nice breakfast before we dropped Tay off and headed to the hospital.
We got to the hospital at 11:25am. By 12pm I was admitted and hooked up to the monitors. They told me that my pulse rate, as well as Ashlyn's was too high, probably because I was dehydrated. So, they gave me a lot of water hoping that would bring our rates down. The nurse also insisted that I was probably in early labor due to the dehydration and that if I hadn't dilated 1cm in an hour that they would most likely send me home.
After drinking the water and our pulse rates were within acceptable ranges, she checked me and I was 3cm. Oh, and she kept saying that my contractions were "mild" and my body was just handling labor harder than my first baby because it takes 3 years for our bodies to heal from labor. After she left the room my husband informed me that he didn't like that nurse and she didn't know what the hell she was talking about! LOL! Well, he was right. I informed that nurse that my contractions were almost unbearable and that I was not leaving. I walked the halls for another hour in excrutiating pain. Mild contraction my foot! She checked me again an hour later and said I was still 3cm. So, she called my OB who decided to admit me anyway and would break my water when she got to the hospital. We got into L&D Room #1 at 2pm.
It took about an hour for the doctor to get to the hospital and just before she got there the nurse checked me again...still 3, maybe 4cm. 10 minutes later my OB check me...yeah, 6-7cm! WHAT! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!!! The OB said she's seen it happen before, Brodie whispered, "I told you I didn't like that nurse, 4cm HA!" It took another hour for them to do my blood work, get the IV in and get the room ready. She broke my water at 3pm. It took about 10 minutes for Ashlyn to come down. I pushed about 5 times and there she was, at 3:18pm. 7lbs, 4oz, 21" long and healthy as a horse. I felt like I was Sissy Spacek in the movie Coal Miners Daughter (life of Loretta Lynn) when her husband told her, "I think we finally found something you're good at!" I was at the hospital for 4 hours when we had her. We were home the next day.
She's beautiful. Her peditrician said when he first saw here in the nursery that he knew exactly which one was the Brodie baby! We think she all favor's Taylor with a little bit of me mixed in. But, time will tell I guess. She hardly has any hair at all on top of her head. Just sandy-brown fuzz. It looks kind of like an emu! LOL! The back of her head has hair that is a little longer and darker brown. We can hardly see her eyebrows or eyelashes. Today is day #2 and we are all doing great.
(For some reason my spell check isn't working so forgive/overlook the mispellings. Thx.)