Hi,
Today is Day 5 and we are all still alive! WooHoo!!!! Because I was dehydrated my milk came in really slowly, this caused Ashlyn to lose more weight than the doctor wanted. She was 7.4oz when she was born, 6.15oz the next day when we left the hospital, 6.12oz on her 3rd day. We went back today for a weight check and she weighed 6.13.4oz. So, the good news is that while she hasn't gained her birth weight back, she is no longer losing weight. We have another weight check in a week but I'm sure she'll be fine by then. My milk is in and she is eating like a champ. Breastfeeding is going great, and often!!! Because she was dehydrated too and my milk hadn't come in yet, she was very hungry and eating every hour. This was very concerning to me but once I figured out that she was under weight it all made sense. So, I just feed her ALL THE TIME now. Doc said to keep doing that until she got back up to her birth weight, at least.
Now she is eating about every 2-3 hours which is just right. She is a sucker so she is taking a paci. That makes for fun nights when her paci falls out of her mouth. The good thing is that after she is in a deep sleep, if her paci falls out, it's okay. It's just going to sleep that she really needs it. Also, she does NOT like sleeping in her bassinet all alone. Now, this makes complete sense since 5 days ago she was all warm and snug inside me. So, the transition to sleeping in a swaddle in a bassinet is going to be difficult for her. Last night, in an effort to try to get some kind of sleep, she slept with us. I had to wake her up to eat!!! This was awesome. I actually got some sleep last night! Whippadee Pow! But, we can't keep doing that. I really don't wanna co-sleep with my kids but I also don't wanna make the same sleep mistakes I made with Taylor. So, we will get back to trying to let her learn to soothe herself (with mom's help) in her bassinet. I just needed a break last night. The only problem is that Ashlyn cries bloody murder when I put her down and I am afraid she'll wake the sleeping giant, Taylor!
But, Taylor has done great adjusting. The one thing I have learned is that Taylor is really, really loud. I never noticed that before Ashlyn got here. She gets really wound up right before bed and runs all over the house screaming like an insane person and we can't get her to use her "inside voice" for anything! But, again, we are all in a transition. She does love her little sister and wants to hold her all the time. We did have one little problem yesterday. She was patting her sister on the head very gently and doing a great job. But then all of a sudden she just hauls off and smacks her right on top of her head! OMG, TAYLOR...NO!!!! Daddy let her know right away THAT was UNACCEPTABLE! Since then she's been great.
Okay everyone, I'm exhausted. Instead of sleeping I have been updating you. So, I'm taking some Mommy time now. My head is hurting so bad it feels like my eyeballs are going to explode.