Friday, January 08, 2010

4 Teeth, 7 months

Taylor's second top tooth came all the way through today. She now has 4, two top and two bottom. We have been so blessed that she has not had any problems with them.

I am sleep training her now. She started sleeping through the night at 4months when we got her on the formula but putting her down is now becoming a problem. About 2 weeks before Christmas she started fighting her sleep. She would starting getting sleepy and realize that she was going to sleep. So, to fight it she would start flailing her arms, opening/closing her hands, pulling her hair, babbling, moving her head from side to side, etc.

Since this was only getting worse, I decided it was time she learned how to go to sleep on her own, without falling asleep in mom's arms. It took 5 painful nights but for the last two nights she has gone down with no tears and fallen asleep within a minute of me laying her in her crib. She is doing so good with her nights.

However, days are still a problem. I learned that she wasn't taking longer naps because she was overtired and was unable to transition in to a deeper sleep. I am now trying to get her on a sleep schedule. She is fighting her sleep during the day and sometimes it takes 30 minutes to an hour for me to get her to go to sleep. I have started putting her in our bed for naps and laying with her. I have no idea if I am going to keep this up. I have very fond memories of taking naps with my mom and I kind of want Taylor to have that memory too. However, just being able to put her down in her own crib and have her go to sleep painlessly would be ideal for both of us. I think I am going to give her night training a little longer to see if she has any kind of regression. If that goes well, I'll start on naps.

I cannot begin to tell you how stressful it is having a child with sleep issues. However, I am just so thankful that so far, this is her only issue. She is getting so big and can almost sit on her own for an extended period of time. She is learning so much so fast. You can almost see her soaking everything up like a sponge and it is such a fun and exciting time for us both.