Sunday, August 16, 2009

2 Months


Taylor's 2 month check-up was on Aug. 6th. She weighed 13.3 lbs and was 25" long. She is in the 94th and 101st percentile for her weight and height, respectively. That's the good news.

The bad news is that she still isn't sleeping. We decided to put her in her crib in her room. The idea was that she was smelling me and waking to eat. I thought perhaps she wasn't getting satisfied when she ate, maybe my milk supply was low. I started drinking more water...much more water. I also stopped drinking caffeine products. I wasn't drinking that much to begin with but I just wasn't sure what was going on. We wrap her up nice and tight to sleep, turn the air down, turn her ceiling fan on low, she's burped, has a clean diaper, and is very well fed. Nevertheless, she still wakes up every 2 hrs, 3 if I am lucky.

I am utterly exhausted. I can hardly complete a sentence much less make it make sense. The only thing I can think that could be causing this is a growth spurt. But it isn't time for a growth spurt. Her next one should be at 3 months. Do growth spurts really come 2 weeks early? I don't know. I feel so useless and just plain ignorant. I feel horrible because I can't satisfy my child. Why won't she sleep? I beg her to sleep, I know she's so tired...but she just refuses to close her eyes.

She really is a good baby. I love her so much. But her inability to sleep and lack of parenting skills makes it so difficult to enjoy her because I know that in a matter of hours I will have to get her to sleep and I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Everyone has suggested putting formula or cereal in a bottle with some breast milk. My pediatrician advised against this. He said among other things, it would inevitably be the beginning of the end of my breastfeeding. I guess sucking from a bottle is instant gratification compared to nursing which takes a little more work on her part. Also, cereal is believed to create allergies and lead to childhood obesity. Obviously not all children experience these side effects but I don't wanna chance it. Plus, we tried to give her bottle the other night and she DID NOT want it. She wanted her momma to go to sleep. She would not take a bottle of formula or breast milk.

If anyone has the answer and wants to come on out and help, I will pay for your plane ticket! LOL! This is very hard being so far away from family. I could really use some help. Everyone says it'll get easier. Well, it is only getting harder.

It's a good thing she is so cute.... I keep telling her if she doesn't straighten up I am going to put her on eBay! LOL!

Well, pray for us. We sure need it.