Friday, December 30, 2005

Oregon Pic's


The joys of working in the woods. Pat Ham and I were check cruising outside of Longview, WA when Pat stumbled upon this rare Elk specimen. Most of the time a person will find one antler and if he/she is lucky they will find both antlers. But only on a blue moon is anyone this lucky. After examining the jaw it appeared that the Elk was relatively young. It was probably either diseased or was taken down by something higher up the food chain. Either way, Pat went home with a great story and I just went home! I tried to talk him out of them but he wouldn't budge. I really can't blame him!


This series is obviously of the Largest Sitka Spruce tree in the U.S. It is located on Highway 18 east of Seaside, OR. If any of you are ever out that way there is amazing Historic Logging Camp that is a must see.












This Sitka Spruce tree measures 176.8" in Diameter. That is 14.7 FEET ACROSS!!!


















This is the beginning of the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen in my life. There are no filters on any of these pictures. These pics were taken between Newport, OR and Florence, OR.












































This begins my pics of Cannon Beach. This is probably one of the most beautiful, friendliest towns along the coast.
This is Haystack Rock.






Pacific City, OR: This picture was taken at one of the most scariest moments in my life. In most places along the Oregon Coast people are allowed to take there trucks and 4-wheelers on the beach. I decided this was something I wanted to try...in my Weyerhaeuser Truck! This was not the best idea because my truck was stuck in the sand when I took this picture. My truck is a standard, four wheel drive F-150. After all was said and done I could smell my clutch burning, my palms were sweaty and my heart was beating 90 miles an hour! To make matters worse there was a guy on the beach in his truck watching the entire ordeal! I finally got unstuck and over the wall of sand that stood between me and the highway. After I saw this picture I decided it was all worth it!


This is Newport, the second most beautiful place along the coast. The wall I am standing behind runs for several miles along the ocean. If ya wait long enough a cold, salty wave will spray you in the face. I found it tremendously exciting!
If you look a little more than half way up this extremely steep slope you will see a "V" in the side of the mountain...it is the Highway! This is called the "Devil's Churn" and it is near Rockaway Beach.














Winchester Bay is approximately 15 minutes north of Coos Bay. The sunset was absolutely beautiful this day also. The "V" shape along the shore is a Jetty used to point the way into the Bay and it is also an Oyster Bed where the best oysters in Oregon are grown!















This begins the pictures of the trip my best friend from college, Chaffin Bozeman, and I took along the coast when she visited me in September 2004. Somewhere in this picture is a purple star fish. It was the first one she ever saw.


If You click on this pick you an get a closer look at the seal's and sea lions that live on Simpson's Reef at Cape Arago. You can hear them barking for miles around.

The next few pictures were taken 10 miles south of Coos Bay in Charleston, OR. In the 1960's when the jetty was being built, a small rail was constructed thru these giant cliffs to get the huge rocks from the pits to the ocean. Chay and I ventured into one that was about 1,000 feet long and once we took our first few steps into the old tunnel ...all light vanished. It was very scary, the footing was bad, and there were remnants of high school parties scattered throughout the tunnel. I was scared a smelly bum was living in there or something! Alas, we made in thru just fine and this is what we saw on our journey.



















Chay, Riann, and some dudes Rat Bike! The things you see when you leave Mississippi!