Saturday, September 29, 2012

Punkin' Patch

We had so much fun today at Mike's Farm. We decided to go get our own pumpkins for the very first time. Our "punkin' gettin'" has been spotty over the years so we decided to do it right this year. We took a one hour drive out to the country, which felt to Brodie like we were half way to Mississippi! I was really afraid we were going to drive up to some old man's house and cut us a punkin'. No Way! This Mike fella did it up RIGHT! There was all kinds of great stuff to do and look at. There was also a LOT of people there. Whew!

Today the farm just so happen to be hosting my Dad's favorite event of all time I do believe - An Antique Tractor Show! So Dad, this post is for you! You can oogle over the pic's on the dropshots page. They did have the most boring race I had ever seen in my life, though. A barrel-pushin' race with a tractor. The guys had to push a barrel down the field without going out of bounds and the one who had the best time won. It was not that exciting so as soon as the rain stopped we hopped on the hay ride which took us back to the pumpkin patch.

This was the very first hay ride for the girls and Taylor LOVED it. Ashlyn didn't really care. Daddy and I loved watching the girls expressions. It was priceless. We went from this big open yard where everyone one was gathered down the shady path overgrown with lots of good smelling trees and vines. At one point there were trees all around us and our path got very dark. Taylor described it as "Spoooooky! He He He!"

We pulled up to the muddy field and everyone jumped out and began to scour the field for the very best pumpkin. Ashlyn just wanted to find a good patch of dirt and play in that. She succeeded! Taylor and Brodie barreled off into the muddy field tripping over vines and pumpkins all the way. Dad found a good big one and I spotted the one I wanted from the sidelines (watching Ashlyn draw in the dirt with her little finger). All of a sudden Taylor got a huge smile on her face and said, "There it is!" She had found it. Her perfect pumpkin. It was just a little bit bigger than her hand and she was so proud. Daddy showed her how to carry it so she wouldn't drop it and then she came running towards me as fast as the vines would let her. It was so sweet.

We got back to the farm and piddled around a little while longer. We stopped into what was set up to be an old homestead from 100+ years ago. Brodie told the girls, "Here girls, lets go look at where your Momma grew up!" I even had to laugh at that. As I snapped picture after picture of things that seemed absolutely ridiculous to my husband (who is from California) he said to me smiling, "You are loving this aren't you!" "Well, shoot yeah!" I said!

A little while later daddy announced that it was time to go. Taylor and I almost cried real tears! Ashlyn and dad were tired and hungry so they had been ready for a while. We packed up our pumpkin's, all our gear, and loaded up to go back home. What a great day!!!

I can't wait until we go get our Christmas Tree!!!

http://www.mikesfarm.com